Skin is the largest organ in the body, serving many purposes:
- Prevents dehydration by holding fluids in
- Prevents infections by keeping harmful microbes out
- Maintains a consistent body temperature
- Creates Vitamin D from the sun
- Helps feel pain, heat, and cold
Research shows that when this large body system becomes unbalanced and disrupted, skin conditions occur. The most common skin conditions include:
- Eczema (also called Atopic Dermatitis)
- Skin cancer
Skin conditions are considered a multi-factorial disease, since there are many possible causes that can to contribute to them:
- Local inflammation
- Specific pathogens causing infection and inflammation
Research has found that CBD can be used to address many of the contributing causes of skin conditions:
- Inflammation: Studies have found that CBD can help reduce inflammation because the production of cytokines, the proteins that initiate and resolve inflammation within the body, can be dysregulated by CBD.
- Infection: CBD has been shown to have an antiseptic effect, making it a treatment option for skin infections.
- Stress: CBD has been shown to play a role in the body’s response to stress. This is done by activating and terminating the response in the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis when either minimal or repeated stress is experienced.
One study conducted on mice found that the endocannabinoid system protects the skin against contact allergies.
Research also shows that CBD promotes the generation of new skin cells and repair of damage caused by UV rays and environmental pollutants.