Studies have found that, as of 2011, nearly 100 million Americans were afflicted by neurological disease. Furthermore, it has been reported that over 450 million people worldwide experience the burden of a neurological disorder.
Research has identified more than 600 neurological diseases. The major types of these diseases include:
- Degenerative diseases where nerve cells die or become damaged (Parkinson’s Disease, Alzheimer’s Disease)
- Seizure disorders (Epilepsy)
- Diseases caused by genetic defects (Huntington’s Disease, Muscular Dystrophy)
- Issues with the development of the nervous system (Spina Bifida)
- Spinal cord or brain injuries
- Infections like Meningitis
- Cancers like brain tumors
Since the nervous system controls all the workings of the body, these neurological conditions can impact even the simplest daily activities, such as:
Given the frequency of neurological disorders and the significant impact they have on a person’s everyday life, identifying ways to lessen the impact or slow the progression of the disease is an important mission for many.
- Promotes a slower rate of degeneration of brain cells. A rapid rate of brain cell degeneration is linked to neurological disorders like Alzheimer’s.
- It can relieve inflammation in the brain and spine. Inflammation has been linked to a variety of neurodegenerative diseases.
- Works with the immune system to help clear infections like meningitis
- Works to damage and eliminate cancer cells while leaving healthy cells intact
It is reported that a benefit to using CBD to treat neurological disorders like Epilepsy is that there is very little risk of adverse side effects.